Energy conservation achieved through energy efficient home design it is now becoming a higher priority on many homeowners' agendas. The reason is simple: energy efficient design reduces the running and maintenance cost of the house (or a commercial space). Thus we are noticing a growing interest among our clients in home renovations that can improve not only the aesthetics and comfort, but also the energy efficiency of their dwellings and commercial or public spaces.
Achieving this goal does not have to be overly complex and can be achieved by:
- High performance, simple and efficient building envelope (simplified building geometry to minimize thermal bridges, insulation and U-values, minimize north glazing)
- Passive solar heating, natural ventilation and passive cooling
- Natural daylighting
- Renewable and non-toxic interior materials and finishes
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Advanced geothermal systems
- Radiant heating
- Heat recovery ventilation
- Low energy lighting & appliances
- Water conserving appliances & fixtures
Following are some fantastic examples of the applied energy efficient home design that can be adopted in renovations and new constructions:
Harmony Home Projects Inc. services Calgary and Calgary surrounding areas. If you’re looking for a design /build renovation company give us a call at (403) 923-2996 to discuss your next project.
Resources and Photo Credits:
The Greenest Home by Julie Torres Moskovitz